Baptism is the physical act of being submerged in water. It expresses a spiritual truth, and it declares that we are, symbolically, sharing with Christ in His death and resurrection. Obviously, we do not truly dies because of our sin, as Jesus did, but it is a public testimony of the fact that Christ’s sacrifice is valid. In the same was that Jesus died for mankind, we die symbolically to the old lifestyle. When we enter the water and are totally submerged, it symbolizes the burial of the old sinful nature. The nature stays “buried” under water and the person is symbolically raised from the dead into a new life with Christ. This is, in essence, the public declaration that we will live for Him as His disciples.
Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” Romans 6:4.
- WHY SHOULD BELIEVERS BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Christ’s example and obeying His command.
- “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.’” —Matthew 3:16–17
- “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” —Matthew 28:18–20
- WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
- You identify as a follower of Jesus Christ.
“Those who accepted his message were baptized.” —Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a transformed life in Christ.
“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” —Romans 6:4
- You have inherited a new family.
“So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” —Galatians 3:26–27
- CAN CHILDREN BE BAPTIZED?
We will baptize children who understands what baptism symbolizes and wants to make that personal public declaration. We encourage any parents to partner with our Hills Kids and Elevate Student ministries to guide your children through these decisions of faith.
- CAN MY INFANT BE BAPTIZED?
The Bible teaches all throughout the New Testament that baptism is a public expression of worship symbolizing the new life we have when we follow Jesus. In the Bible we see that Jesus’ parents dedicated him to the Lord (Luke 2:22–40), and he was later baptized as an adult (Matthew 3:16–17). We understand that some churches practice “baptism of confirmation” for children. This ceremony is intended to be a commitment between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough to make his or her own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed and is different from the biblical examples of new believers being baptized to publicly profess their faith in Jesus.
So at Hills we provide opportunities for baby dedication and believer’s baptism. To schedule a baby dedication, contact email@example.com